Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bringing it home with the Bring 'em Home Concert

So I went to this big show last night. The concert was soaking with stars and musicians who spoke out against the war and Bush.
As is appropriate for these peace/Democrat events, it was disorganized and took us 30 minutes in the freezing cold to get inside the Hammerstein Ballroom. Once inside,
Fischerspooner was already on stage with a performer spurting blood on the audience. I couldn't see much from where I was standing, but from what I could tell above many heads, the stage performance looked impressive.

As I was slugging down a Jack and Coke, I spotted a 20 second window period for my friend and I to sneak up to the VIP section. We filled up on free vodka and popcorn (my dinner, ew) and shot the shit as the performances ensued.
Peaches was fun and the audience sang "Fuck the Pain Away" along with her. I wish I had really paid more attention to Devendra Banhart, but I was getting much needed sustenance and it honestly sounded sort of boring (don't hate me). I also chatted through Bright Eyes though I could see he was really into it, putting on probably one of the better shows this evening. The sound system left much to be desired, but Rufus Wainwright really rocked the NY house. He is really not that popular anywhere else, is he? His voice is lovely and he sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and we all loved it. Moby popped up to promote some musician buddies of his, boring.

Susan Saradon, who had just gotten off stage with Cindy Sheehan walked directly in front of me and that was pretty neat. Um... what else. Oh! At the end of the night, I saw Fred Schneider from the B-52s, which was the biggest thrill, because he was just hanging out.

Finally
Michael Stipe sang with James Iha playing in the back. It wasn't so bad, but I really wanted him to sing "It's the End of the World As We Know It" or "Nightswimming." Of course he didn't. I also was hoping the Boss would show up, since he's an activist and from around here, but it didn't happen. Whatever. I had a good time and it's always fun to be VIP at a VIP show.
I really hope that they do more of these not just every year on the many anniversaries of the war. I pray that we get, not just press, but political attention. It is disgusting that this long after the start of the war, everyday people are still dying and the progress being made seems to be in bloodshed, not in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home