Sunday, April 09, 2006

I haven't been keeping up on my blogs, but here is a list of things I've done lately and how I feel about them.

Neko Case and Martha Wainwright will be discussed in the next post.

Red Light Winter- You've probably seen posters advertising this play on the Subway. I was warned that this would be a "dirty" performance, and so I looked forward to lewd language and nudity. And upon seeing it, both were available. However, the play went from funnyish and thoughtful to depressing and serious, at which point I kind of wanted to leave. There are three characters: two guys and a prostitute. One is a douche named Davis and the other was Matt, the wimpy playwright, presumably modeled after the author. I don't want to ruin the play, so I won't tell you how it got morbid. But it did. No good can come from screwing prostitutes, kids, so lay off the whores. I think it's worth seeing, if you're a drama student.

John Waters, This Filthy World- I was lucky enough to receive an e-mail from a lovely friend of mine which allowed me to attend the taping of this performance. I saw John Waters introduce Marguerite Duras's film Le Camion, a few weeks ago for the French Institute. Naturally, he was less rehearsed at this introduction than at his one man show, but I sort of like him better when he's talking off the cuff. The one man show was hilarious though and I've already ordered Holy Anorexia from Amazon, a book he suggested we read which talks about the self-destructive, vile behavior of saints. As a MASTER of Religion, this seems the stuff I went into the discipline to study. I wish I could tell you more about his performance, but I'd rather you see him for yourself. Do it.

Camera Obscura, not so obscura- I went to see this Scottish band on March 22 at the Knitting Factory and was pretty much thrilled that they were so cute and funny. The band had just arrived from Austin, having just played South by Southwest. Tracy Anne Campbell sang their upbeat songs with just enough sadness and exhaustion to keep the music poppy but interesting. The audience was upset that Kenny McKeeve didn't sing at all, but he spent some time lightening the mood with jokes and such. I think they're sort of great, but I love all things British Isles. I would recommend for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home